Monday, October 30, 2006

06 Paradiddle One



Wow, the previous 2 weeks since my last post have flown by.... what can I say?! I made up for it today though by recording the next four episodes in one go... I will be posting them over the next four weeks starting today with Paradiddle one.... Now, the paradiddle is a well known rudiment in the drumming community... imagine it as a hybrid between the single stroke roll (RLRL) and the double stroke roll (RRLL).... it looks like this: RLRR LRLL

I can't emphasize enough how important the paradiddle is... it is such a simple exercise but it is not to be underestimated... I first learned the paradiddle about 20 years ago and to this day I still practice it to stay in shape... again, it is very important to make sure you try to keep the volumes of and spacing between each note equal (and don't forget to practice to the click track!)... this is KEY to mastering the paradiddle...

As of today, I will be featuring things that have inspired me (and continue to inspire me) over the years... Today I would like to feature a CD by Chick Corea entitled 'Three Quartets'....

...click here to listen to excerpts on amazon.... The great Steve Gadd is drumming on this and to me it presents one of his finest studio performances in a jazz setting... so check it out and I will see you with Paradiddle Two next week....

1 Comments:

At 4:55 PM, Blogger Unknown said...


A handy hint on playing paradiddles with accuracy and fluidity
is to say out loud “Pa-ra-did-dle, pa-ra-did-dle” as you play.
This verbalisation will help keep your timing and perception of
the pulse under control.

paradiddles
paradiddle book
paradiddle exercises

 

Post a Comment

<< Home